Monday, March 21, 2011

Curse of the Dome Light Switches

1) The p/s switch

 I bought the car knowing the dome light didn't work. Having gone down this treacherous path with my 2002, I figured I could get the thing going by taking apart the switches on the door and sanding them to renew the contact points.

This procedure proved successful with one of them.  The passenger side switch now worked fine but no luck with the driver's side.  Hmm, I thought, puzzled.  So I repeated the process with 60 grit sandpaper, scraping every surface on the switch.  Still no luck. Then I noticed that when the shaft inside the switch touched the body of the car - in the form of the hole it goes into - the light illuminated.  So I had power!  The issue had to be the ground.  I solved the problem easily by bending a small piece of copper wire around the shaft and running it to the screw that fastens the switch to the car.

Then there was light, and it was good.



2) The dome light blazes in garage-darkened glory

No comments:

Post a Comment