Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Trannsmission Rebuild: Part III - Installation

I got a big box from Metric Mechanic with the transmssion enclosed last week, delievered conveniently to my door, and while I was out of town over the weekend Patrick at Midnight Motorsport worked hard to do the installation. After a brief fear regarding the choice we faced of different throw-out bearings (see previous post) we chatted about the issue and decided that the current BMW-recommened version HAD to work. Blind faith, I suppose.

After we removed my original Getrag 232, we had put a donor tranny in the car so I could still run it. It was a direct plug and play. The unit came from a '74 2002 but its exact provenance was unknown. The gears shifted smoothly but the transmission whined like a banshee at high speeds.


Of course, I shouldn't complain too much. My own 232 was suffering from terminal Synchro Syndrome, meaning that every time I changed gears I had to match the RPMs perfectly. Not a great way to have to drive such a fine old car, listening to crunches that sounded like the roll of sea rocks under a stormy shorebreak.

Anyhow, while I flew south for some warm weather and to see college friends, Patrick got to work. Just looking at Metric Mechanic's meticulous refurbishing of my old Getrag must have been a hoot for him all weekend long; I envy often envy his profession.







I have to admit, my car didn't look entirely bad with no tranny attached. I had heard when I bought her that she's been stored for 25 years unused. Maybe this factoid was true and maybe not, but I'm not complaiing.


And so the unit eventually  made it to the underside of the car.


All is now right with the world. My only worry is that I have a sudden compulsion to disobey every posted speed limit I see on the roads.



No comments:

Post a Comment