Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Transmission Rebuild: Part I

I thought about this project for a long time before finally taking the plunge.  My original transmission was in excellent shape, all in all, but because it's an early Getrag 232 with Porsche syncors, age and use had slowly but surely devoured said synchros. While they hadn't gotten any worse during the years I have owed the car, inevitably they were a real downer and prevented me or any other driver from fully appreciating the M10 motor.

So I sent the transmission off the Jim Rowe and the crew at Metric Mechanic for a rebuild. Their work didn't come cheap, but then you get what you pay for in cars as well as in life.

Yestersday the unit arrived back at my house courtesy of UPS.  I opened the box and discovered a work of art that belongs, surely, in the Seattle Art Museum as a stand-alone object to venerate with reverence.


 The transmission looks too pretty to unwrap.

When I sent the gearbox I included the selector rod, because the holes in the fork were worn and I wondered if Metric Mechanic could do anything about this issue, which caused play in the shifter.  They refreshed the rod and now I can't wait to get it back in the car and see how she shifts.


 I really had no idea when I shipped the selector rod that they would be able to perform such delicate surgery.

Now I have only to wait until the proper time for reinstalling the transmission.

No comments:

Post a Comment